Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Egg Curry with Brinjal

Where should I start?  I went through much indecision before choosing the Indian recipe for egg curry over the Burmese one.  I will eventually do that one, but tonight, I'm sticking to my roots.
If the only "meat" in a dish is eggs, is it still vegetarian? I'm going to go ahead and say yes.  No offense to anyone who doesn't eat eggs.  I do.  I love them.  I had to stop myself this morning from having them for breakfast with some salsa verde so that I could make this dish.  It was difficult, but the strawberries in my oatmeal comforted me... then made my mind wonder onto strawberry-basalmic vinegar muffins or cookies.  Then I refocused on the eggs.
Ingredients:
6 eggs, hardboiled and shelled
1/4 cup oil for frying
1 large eggplant (brinjal), cubed
3 dried curry leaves
3 cloves
1/2" cinnamon stick
1/2tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 chopped onion
1/4 tsp turmeric
some chili powder.. watch out if it's the strong one
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp tandoori chicken masala
1 tomato, blended into a purée
1 tsp molasses
1 can coconut milk
Directions:
1.  In a wok or heavy based pan, heat the oil, then fry the eggs, carefully turning them on each side until their skin starts to blister.  Oooh it feels cruel but oh so nice to have that nice golden color.  Remove and set aside on some paper towels.
2.  In the oil, brown the eggplant cubes so they are nicely colored on each side.  You may want to pour some of the oil out for the next step.  The eggplants are extremely greedy and soak up anything you put in their path.  Remove and set aside also on some paper towels.
That's not very glamorous, is it?  Just wait.
3.  In your remaining oil, place the curry leaves, cloves, cinnamon, cumin seeds, and fennel seeds.  Heat until it starts to crackle and pop.
4.  Add the onion.  Stir and cook until it colors, then add the eggplant.
5.  Add the turmeric, chili powder, coriander, and tandoori masala.  Stir to coat the eggplant evenly.
6.  Add the tomatoes and molasses.  Cook about 5 minutes.  You don't want a raw tomato taste in your curry.
7.  Add the coconut milk and bring to a boil.  Don't use the whole can if you want a thicker curry.  I don't like mine to be soupy, so I used about 3/4 of the can.  Simmer on low until ready to serve.
8.  Before serving, cut the eggs in half and drop them into the curry.

Serve with rice and/or rotis.  I'm serving mine with Palak Paneer, Jeera Rice, and Rotis.
What a wonderful new way to enjoy eggs.  This is making it into my rotation.  I'm not sure the frying was necessary.  I may skip that next time for a healthier version.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment