Search this blog

Translate

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Sautéed Tellina - Wedge Shells - Bean Clams

My heart hijacked my brain today.
It had its way with me.  I was unable to resist.. nor did I make any effort to do so.
Thus this wonderful day began, thus this wonderful day gave way to this lovely mango-inspired dinner.
I find it harder and harder to resist chatting up my fish monger.. especially during this season when there is a large selection and plenty of life on the stalls.  Last week I succumbed to Jackknives, today it's Tellina.  In English they are known as Wedge Shells or Bean Clams, which are common names for the bivalves from the Tellinidae family.  I also find it harder and harder to resist the idea of how naughty the word bivalve sounds.
These little clams were a real treat.  I love discovering the different offerings our Earth sacrifices for our worldly pleasure...
Serves 1-2 (I had this all to myself)
Ingredients
450g (1 lb) Wedge Shells
2 garlic cloves, grated
3 Tbsp excellent quality olive oil
1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
handful chopped parsley
5-6 jarred sundried tomatoes, chopped
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tsp ground piment d'espelette
1 cup water (as needed)
Directions
1.  Soak the shells in some warm salted water for about 1 hour.  This step is important, for they will spit out their sand.  Remember, Mother Earth is willing to make offerings, but we need to learn to make the best use of them.  If you have a mouthful of sand, you will not appreciate the delicate flavor of these clams.  Drain and rinse.
2.  Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan.  Add the drained Tellina, garlic, piment d'espelette, and lemon juice.
3.  Cover and cook for about 6-8 minutes or until the shells have opened to expose their inner beauty and completely offer themselves to you.
4.  Add in the sundried tomatoes, parsley, and pepper.  If it's dry and you want it saucy, add a bit of water.

Serve as is, or tossed with some al dente linguine.
I have to admit that in my extreme gourmandise mood of the day, I had it both ways.
I also had a few oysters along side as mid-meal hors d'oeuvres.
I think I'm ready to happily dream about my next encounter with my kidnapper...

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment