Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Persimmon Apple Cobbler with Green Chiles

This last week I've been trying to figure out a way to make an All American dessert to go with my Kale Chips and Chili.  I usually go with Pumpkin Pie but one of my guests had already witnessed that.. so I had to find something else to fit the theme.  I also wanted to use Persimmons because they are beautiful as adornments to their leafless trees and are really in season.  When I stumbled upon a cobbler recipe using green chiles.. it literally called out to me and took over my brain cells.  I twisted and turned the the idea in my head for an entire week, trying to figure out if I should make a pie, make individual ramekins of cobbler, make a crumble, or just go with the whole messy looking thing and call it "la bonne franquette," which means.. please don't mind the look, just enjoy.
Well, I'm happy I did because I discovered cobbler.  I don't remember ever eating anything called cobbler and I certainly have never made it before, so with a major cutdown on the original sugar amount (it called for more than double what I used) I had something nice and caramelized on top but creamy .. and slightly spicy on the inside.
This dessert could not have been more Me.
Inspired by HomesickTexan
Ingredients
Filling:
2 apples (I used Gala) peeled, cored, and diced
2 persimmons, peeled, cored, and diced
1-2 jalapeños, roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp fivespice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Juice from 1 lime
2 Tbsp dried pomegranate seeds
Crust:
100g (3.5oz) butter
50g (1.8oz) buckwheat flour
50g (1.8oz) oats
20g (0.7oz) wholewheat flour
75g (2.6oz) brown or cane sugar
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
3/4 cup whole milk
Directions
1.  Toss all the filling ingredients together and place in a buttered pie dish, spread evenly.
2.  To make the batter, mix all the ingredients except the butter together.
3.  Melt the butter in a pan on low heat until completely melted.
4.  Pour the batter mixture over the butter off heat.  Do not stir.
5.  Pour the batter with the butter into the pie dish over the filling.
6.  Cook at 350°F 180°C for 45 minutes until the top is caramelized.
Eat warm!

When the cobbler is still warm, it will be hard to get it to slice like a pie.  It doesn't matter.  Just serve and enjoy!  Another variation is to make individual servings... but who wants to go through all that trouble when you just want to relax and have a good time?
Next time I will use even less sugar because I don't think it really needs it.  The fruit is so naturally sweet that it seems almost sacrilegious to take the attention away from it...

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment