Search this blog

Translate

Monday, November 13, 2017

Turmeric Chickpea "Burgers" with Tahini Garlic Sauce

Finding a good veggie burger is not as simple as one may think.  There are thousands out there.. it's not the veggie burger that is hard to find.. it's the really good one that is.  It's a texture thing.  I like my burger to hold together when I eat it.  Otherwise I would just plate it and stop trying to call it a burger.
There are the countless processed veggie burgers out there mostly using grains and soy.. but for me, those ones are really unappetizing.
I did have some luck with my black bean and beet burgers.  They were really good and had lots of flavor, but I think I did better with texture this time around.  These turmeric chickpea burgers have a whole different flavor profile, and the chickpeas are not all the way cooked through, which completely changes the texture issue.
These do hold together.  I was flipping them with no problems.. and when you bite into it.. you are definitely biting into something that holds a little resistance.  That is exactly what I wanted.
Vive la Résistance!!

Yield 6 patties
Ingredients

Patties:
1 1/4 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
3 cloves garlic, grated
1 knob fresh turmeric, grated (about 2 Tbsp)
2 small red onions, diced
1 jalapeno, diced
1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
juice from 1/2 lime
1/4 cup chickpea flour + more if needed
Olive oil for cooking

Tahini garlic sauce:
3 Tbsp tahini
1 clove garlic, grated
juice from 2 limes
2-3 Tbsp water, depending on how thick you want the sauce
freshly cracked pepper

Directions
1.  Cook the drained chickpeas until almost done.  You don't want them to be mushy when you smash them between your fingers.  I did mine in a crock pot for 4 hours (instead of 7).
2.  Drain but reserve some of the cooking water just in case.  Pulse the chickpeas in a food processor. Don't puree them, but make sure none are still whole.
3.  Add all the rest of the patty ingredients except the oil and stir well.  If the mixture is too dry, add some of the chickpea cooking water.  If the mixture is too we, add some more chickpea flour.  You want the mixture to hold together if you make a ball with your hands.
4.  Make the sauce by stirring everything together.  You don't want it to be too watery, so add the water 1 Tbsp at a time until it gets to the saucy thickness you desire.
5.  Make and shape the patties.  I used a burger press.  I placed some parchment paper into the bottom of the press, then scooped in the mixture, pressed, removed, and repeat.
6.  Heat some olive oil in a flat skillet or frying pan.  Carefully place each patty down and cook on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side. 
7.  Place onto a toasted burger bun with the sauce and whatever fixins you desire!

I had red onion, tomatoes, avocado, and lettuce.

This was the most satisfying veg burger I've had so far!  That Tahini garlic sauce is its perfect match.  Do not consider skipping it.
I've been requested to make it again for a crowd.. which obviously means it's a big hit!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment