Search this blog

Translate

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Obama's Mama's Chili

This is a family recipe, although not from my family, it has become a monthly staple in our meal rotation. I stole this from the Crockpot Lady, who got it when it was published during the 2008 elections. I cooked this for my French in laws, and they really really liked it. French don't really know what chili is, except for Chile con Carne that they buy in cans, but its really not the same thing as American chili at all. Oh yea, and I also got to test out my new Kenwood Slow Cooker that my MIL got me for Christmas!

Ingredients:

1 can kidney beans (and the goop!)
1 lb lean ground meat (I used less than 1 lb ground beef but I've also used turkey.. very good)
2 bell peppers pick 2 colors, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
5-6 medium tomatoes, chopped (include seeds and all)
5 chopped cloves of garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt, pepper to taste
1 part of a chili pepper for spice if you need it
Chopped green onions, shredded cheese and sour cream for garnish
Directions:
Throw it all in, and go about your daily business. Serve with rice and garnish with chopped green onions, a dollup of sour cream, and shredded cheddar or swiss cheese!
If you don't have a crockpot, here's a stove top version with spices reduced accordingly.
This recipe serves 6 very hungry people! And even then, my crockpot wasn't even half full. It's a HUGE 6 Liter oval shaped.. and its just the 2 of us, so leftovers galore!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. SO funny that you just posted this. We had some BOMB chili on Saturday and i was looking for a good recipe. I remember this one from 365 of crock! I might be making this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete