Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Bagos com Choco e Frutos do Mar

This makes me want to go to Portugal! In the world section of my grocery store, I can sometimes find little treasures, like this pack of Bagos (Orzo) for 50 cents! Bagos are actually pasta, but shaped like rice and used frequently in Portugese cuisine. This intrigued me, as did the recipe on the back of the package... which called for Choco (Calamari) and Bacon, but I switched out the bacon for various seafood.
Serves 3-4
Ingredients:
1 package Bagos (250g)
2 lbs frozen Calamari and mixed Seafood (or just Calamari and half a package chopped bacon)
3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cups fish stock
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 bay leaf
1 tsp Chili powder
EVOO
Salt/Fresh ground pepper
Directions:
1. Heat the EVOO and color the onion, garlic and bacon (if you're using). Add the bay leaf, chili powder, tomatoes and bell pepper. Deglaze with the white wine.
2. Add half of the fish stock. Bring to a boil and add the Bagos. Once that starts boiling again, add the frozen seafood and calamari. Bring to a boil once again, then lower the heat, cover and let simmer 5-10 minutes, checking and stirring.
3. The cooking time is by taste testing because I didn't really time it, but Bagos seem to take longer to cook than regular pasta. Keep tasting and adding fish stock if necessary. The end result should not be dry and sticky, but not a soup either. 1 quart was a little much for me, so I didn't use it all. Adjust the seasoning with salt and fresh ground pepper.

Serve hot with some fresh parmesan on top... and pat yourself on the back! Delicious!
I suppose you could make it Italian with Arborio rice if you can't find Bagos, but then you would need to add it at the beginning with the onions.

Even my meat eating husband loved it and told his Portugese friend about it.. so that MUST mean it was good!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. I did this for company, but added the bacon and roasted bell peppers... DO IT!!!

    ReplyDelete