Search this blog

Translate

Monday, November 3, 2014

Chipotle Black Eyed Pea Dip

The time has come again for yet another Happy Hour evening followed by game night.
No, not video games... we haven't killed off enough brain cells to enjoy those yet.. (no offense to anyone who indulges in said activity.  I just don't get it.)
Although I try to change up the rotation regularly, there are always certain things to expect when crossing my threshold:
a.
There will be a dip and it will most likely involve beans.  Be it hummus, artichoke, eggplant, pinto, or even blended dal, you will be practicing the art of dipping.
b.
There will be heat.  At the very least, one of my offerings will be spicy, if not 80% of them.  That's how I roll.  If I know ahead of time about your less than stellar scoville stamina, I may make minor adjustments, but there will be at least one item you won't eat.  Your loss. 
c.
There will be something from the sea.  It will be shrimp, anchovies, sardines, or all of the above, but they will represent.  This time there were shrimp and kelp caviar (which I didn't photograph) but was rather excellent.
d.
There will be music.  Really really good music.. on vinyl.  That is non-negotiable.  I have a large selection, but don't bring a cd or a usb drive.  That just doesn't cut it here.
e.
You will discover something.  Yes.. I like to have something to share that will make you say "ooh" or "aaah" or "wtf?"  Sometimes all three.  It isn't necessarily food related, but most of the time is is.

Once those conditions are re-united, the evening can begin.  
Here is my a. criteria for the evening which is similar to my chipotle black beans, but with a few minor touches that completely make the difference.
Serves 4-5
Ingredients

3/4 cup dried black-eyed-peas, soaked at least a few hours
1/4 cup dried pinto beans, soaked as well
5 cups water
1 sprig sage, chopped
1 chicken or vegetable bouillon cube
3 chopped shallots
2 Tbsp tomato paste
4 cloves garlic, grated
3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, some chopped
1/4 tsp ground cumin
Juice from 1 lemon
1 Tbsp cracked black pepper
Directions
1.  Put everything in the slow cooker and cook on low for 7-9 hours.
2.  If you decide to make it a dip, remove some of the beans with liquid and blend.  Garnish with grated cheese if you wish.  
I suggest not blending the entire batch, that way you can have several options;  dip, breakfast, lunch, soup, etc..
I served mine with some tortilla chips and carrot sticks (strangely, not shown in this photo).  There were also some lemon chile pepinos to keep with the Mexican theme.
What are those toasts in the background?  Aah a dill spread to which I later added capers, and some goat cheese with red chile jam which everybody thought was strange at first, but then asked for more.. to which I had to refuse.. because that jam was made for me for my personal stiletto moments. So.. no, sorry.
The next day, I spooned some of the non-blended beans over my morning egg.
Then again, over some rice with some extra garnish such as avocado, chopped tomatoes, and shredded cabbage..
 Oh yes lets get messy!! Yes Yes!!
I love beans.. have I ever mentioned that?
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment