Search this blog

Translate

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Paneer Lababdar

I made this extraordinary dish a few days ago, and had prepared a wonderful monologue concerning its richness and heartwarming goodness, the way it makes me feel inside, and the way it makes my eyes glitter.
But I wrote all that with my Bearded Dragon, Abby, on my shoulder.. and as I went to pour my tea for a few seconds, Abby had jumped onto the desk and played around with my monologue.  She deleted and saved during the 2 seconds I left her alone on the desk.
Unfortunately, I cannot rewrite the moments of joy I was feeling during my previous writing of this recipe, but I can share it.
I can say how wonderful it was, this Punjabi paneer recipe.  So wonderful, in fact, that it was asked of me that I make it again this weekend for an Indian dinner party I'll be hosting.
Maybe I'll come back and edit this with my newly replenished feelings toward the cuisine process of this dish...
Borrowed from VegRecipesofIndia
Serves 4-5 as a side
Ingredients
to blend:
1 can high quality tomato pulp
15 cashews
1 inch chunk ginger, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 green cardamom pod
2 cloves
for the curry:
1 Tbsp butter
1 Indian bay leaf (tej pata)
1 small red onion, chopped
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp chile powder
1 cup water
2 slit green chiles or 1 sliced Moroccan chile
200g (1/2 lb) paneer, cubed
1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
1/4 tsp garam masala
2 Tbsp heavy cream
1/2 tsp fleur de sel
Garnish:
Chopped cilantro
Julienned ginger
Directions
1.  Make the spice paste.  Simmer the "to blend" ingredients together in a saucepan for about 7-8 minutes.  Let cool, then blend into a smooth paste.  Set aside.
2.  Heat the butter in a wok with the bay leaf and chopped onion.  Cook until onion is tender, then add the spice paste along with the cumin, coriander, and chile powder.
3.  Cook, stirring until the paste becomes clumpy, about 6-8 minutes.
4.  Add water and stir to loosen the sauce, then add green chiles.  Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to a simmer.
5.  Add the paneer cubes, fenugreek, and garam masala.  Heat through, then stir in the cream.  Taste and season with fleur de sel if needed.  Just a touch will do.

Serve garnished with julienned ginger and chopped cilantro.  I didn't have any cilantro but I sure will next time...
I served mine alongside some Green Ki Dal, Cabbage Sambharo, and some basmati rice.
Conclusion:
Omg I can't wait to cook some Bhindi again..
It's going to be a perfect pairing with this paneer!

Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. this was a such a fabulous broccoli yoghurt and its recipe is really simple i have to save this page for making this recipe. thanks.chowringhee satya niketan menu

    ReplyDelete