Search this blog

Translate

Friday, March 20, 2015

Coconut Ginger Pie

Ginger gives life meaning.  When I create, there must be ginger involved.  It gives any item intensity and can be used in savory as well as sweets.  I particularly like to snack on candied ginger, or have it for breakfast with a few cashews with my dates and oats.  I love to add it to fried spices along with garlic to extract that pungent aroma and breathe it in.  I like it pickled with sushi, and raw in cocktails or off my fingers after having grated it.  It heats me deep from within, and I firmly believe that regular consumption of the root can keep you away from most common ailments.
This is why I chose to integrate it into my coconut pie.  With all that coconut and ginger, there is very little need for sugar or any oter taste enhancers.  You can just let nature reveal itself piece by piece as you enjoy the heat that flows through your body..
Ingredients
Ginger Buckwheat Crust:
100g (3.5oz) room temperature butter
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 Tbsp cane sugar
pinch salt
1 tsp ginger powder
100g (3.5oz) buckwheat flour
130g (4.6oz) T80 flour
1 egg yolk
5 cL (2oz) water
Make the crust using the method, then pre-bake it at 190°C 375°F for 10 minutes

Coconut Ginger Filling:
4 eggs, beaten until foamy
110g (3.9oz) cane sugar
1 can coconut milk
1 inch piece ginger, sliced into thin strips
2 cups desiccated coconut

Directions
1.  Whisk together the filling ingredients.
2.  Pour into the pre-baked crust and bake at 180°C 350°F for 40-45 minutes or until just set.
3.  Remove and let cool for at least 1 hour.
Serve at room temperature or cold.

I wasn't sure how gingery this would come out since I did a complete freestyle evening with this recipe.  I'm happy to say the ginger was not too strong, but present enough to be felt.  It did not overpower the coconut, but rather infused in a synchronized dance.
The texture was incredibly interesting as well.  The desiccated coconut worked as a thickener and absorbed the liquid.  It had the texture of semolina halwa or couscous, but with the comforting flavor of coconut.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment