Search this blog

Translate

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Cauliflower au Gratin

This is my mother's recipe that I grew up eating, and since I was recently craving cauliflower, I decided to try it. It is also the first time I've used my pressure cooker as a steamer, which is rather amazing and fast. Steamed vegetables are much healthier than boiled, because they keep all their nutrients inside them instead of letting them out into the water they are cooked in and that you throw out.
Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower
7-8 peeled potatoes
2 1/2 cups Béchamel sauce
Parsley
salt/pepper
shredded swiss
Directions:
1. Steam or boil your potatoes and cauliflower. Do this however you want. I used the little basket with a bit of water in my pressure cooker. I cooked the potatoes for 5 minutes, and then I added the cauliflower for 5 minutes. If you don't have a pressure cooker or a vegetable steamer, boil your potatoes on the stove, and steam your cauliflower in a bowl of water in the microwave.
2. Make your Béchamel. Don't forget to season it well with salt and pepper, a handful of shredded swiss cheese, and maybe a little fresh parsley.
3. In a baking dish, put your cooked potatoes and cauliflower, cut into pieces, and pour the béchamel sauce so everything is nicely coated.
4. Top with more shredded cheese, and pop into the oven at 380F for 40 minutes.
Serve as a dish or side dish with pork chops or whatever you want. I had some fig saucisson I had to finish (forget it, you will never find such a thing in the US), but the next day I did it with a pork cutlet..mmmm.

This makes a lot. I froze a portion. It also gives you gas, but it's very good.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment