Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Steph's Apple Pie

So what are you supposed to do when a coworker gives you a ton of apples off her tree and you'll never be able to down them all before they start going bad? Make apple pie!!!
This is a different type than the American version. Both are good, but I'm pretty sure this one is easier. The picture doesn't do it justice at all. My bro and inlaws scarfed it down before I got a slice picture.
Ingredients:
3-4 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into thin wedges
2 egg yolks
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup of sugar (and more to taste)
1/2 tsp cinammon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 raw pie crust
Directions:
1. Unroll your pie crust and poke it with a fork. Lay it in the tin and put it in the oven at 350°F for 5-7 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, wisk your egg yolks (mine are extra orange because I used fresh duck and hen eggs) and then wisk in the cream, sugar and spices. Do a finger taste test.. add more sugar if needed, but seriously, I don't like it too sweet.
3. Take out your pie crust and arrange your apple wedges so that it looks pretty. Pour your mixture over your apples. The liquid level shouldn't be too high. You want to see your apples halfway poking out.
4. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until it looks just about right.

I didn't actually follow a recipe to make this. I did it at 11pm while drinking beer with my bro and winged the measurements and cooking time. It came out perfectly! My MIL is now upset that I compete with her in the pie making department!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment