Search this blog

Translate

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Bulgogi - Korean BBQ

We recently met a Korean-French couple who invited us to dinner at their place. They made the most delicious Korean BBQ and Kimchi I'd ever had (see pics below)This brought back UCSD memories of weekly Korean BBQ for $5 a plate.. ah the good ol days! Anyhow, it was sooo good, that I decided to try it out. This came out really good, but minus the barbecue, wasn't as great as if made by a REAL Korean. Plus, I'm sure I'm missing a secret ingredient. BUT, this was very very good.
Ingredients:
1 lb beef, sliced into very thin steaks (mine looked more like stir fy)
Marinade:
2 Tbsp soy sauce (or GF alternative)
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp rice wine
1 asian pear, peeled and grated
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
for the wraps:
Leaves of lettuce or some sort of greens
Sesame leaves (I did not have, so I used basil.. good choice. You can use mint, too)
Seaweed wrappers.. for crunchiness (not pictured)
chili paste or other "salsa" of your choice
Directions:
1. In a deep dish, mix all the marinade ingredients together, then mix in the meat, rubbing each piece with your fingers to get the marinade into the grooves. Let sit for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
2. Light your bbq and grill the pieces of steak. If you don't have one and/or your slices fall through the grill, use a stove and frying pan.
3. When all this is done, serve as you wish, but the tastiest way to eat this is in a lettuce wrap with a little rice, sesame leaf, and hot sauce... with a side of kimchi, of course (but I didn't have any either)

I think I will do this again. I did like it, but I need a REAL Korean to give me a family recipe because I'm sure the ones you find on the internet are all missing something. Maybe it's because I miss the college days too much...
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. I completely forgot the garlic in the marinade! I did this again with garlic and it was that slight "thing" that was missing.

    ReplyDelete