Search this blog

Translate

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Shakshuka

Since getting crazy about hummus, babaganoush, and pretty much all edible things from Israel or Lebanon, I've been mouthwatering over shakshuka, but never got around to making it.  It's definately not an ingredient issue, but maybe I was waiting to taste a real version made by a real Israeli first.  I've now taken matters into my own hands.  The idea came back with a bite when this guy made it recently.  Tonight feels like the right time to dive into a spicy new adventure.  I'll just have to compare with a Lebanese or Israeli person's version when I find some.
Serves 2
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp EVOO
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic
1 moroccan chili (or serrano or jalapeño) diced
1 tsp fresh black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp caraway seeds, cracked
1 tsp cumin seeds, cracked
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 can crushed tomatoes (I used 1 can + 2 large chopped)
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp molasses (or 2 Tbsp honey)
salt to taste
handful fresh spinach or other green (or 1 frozen cube)
some plain yogurt (or feta, but I didn't have any)
4-6 eggs
Directions:
1.  In a large deep skillet or sautée pan, heat the oil and cook the onions until translucent.  Add the chili, garlic, and spices and cook, stirring until a hypnotizing aroma invades your brain.
2.  Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, and molasses.  Lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until everything comes together and the sauce has thickened (but not become a paste).  Taste and add salt if necessary.
3. Make 4-6 indentations in the sauce and place 1 tsp plain yogurt into each indentation before cracking an egg into them.  Cook for about 10 minutes on low heat, while basting the eggs from time to time with the sauce.
4.  Cover at the end of the cooking time until eggs are cooked to your liking.  I did mine about 5 minutes more.

Serve with some extra yogurt droplets over quinoa/bulgur mix.
I take back what I could have ever said about moroccan chilis.  They are perfect in this recipe.  Nice spicy chile taste which is not overpowering, but just enough to ward off children.
Back to the shakshuka... I saved some of the tomato goodness and cooked up 2 more eggs for the next dinner.  I'm not sure eggs can get any better than this.  Just divine...
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment