Search this blog

Translate

Monday, April 22, 2013

Yam Baked Fries

The French can't tell the difference between a Yam and a Sweet Potato.  They don't even have a word for Yam.  Everything is just a sweet potato.  My heart breaks for them.
Anyway, they were on sale this week and a little voice in my hair has been telling me to make fries with them.  Since I always listen to my voices, tonight was the knight.  I couldn't help but to spice them up a bit, and they turned out soo naughty with the chili powder and nice with their natural sweetness brought out by the mango powder.  I could probably replace oxygene with amchur and live happily aver after.
Serves 2 as a side
Ingredients:
1 very large or 2 small yams, cut into thick fries
Drizzle EVOO
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp mango powder (amchur)
1/2 tsp garam masala
Directions:
1.  On a baking sheet, toss the yam pieces with EVOO and garlic powder.
2.  Spread out the pieces so they are in one layer.  Bake for 20-30 minutes (until they look crispy enough) at 200°C.  I admit I didn't quite time it, but when all the happy hour shrimp were gone, I decided it was time after tasting a wedge.
3.  Take out of the oven and sprinkle a mix of mango powder, chili powder, and garam masala while still hot.

Serve with whatever you see fit.  I had some Indian dry rubbed Panga.  I just rubbed the filet with the amchur + chili powder + garam masala spice rub and pan fried it in a drizzle of EVOO, then added a pinch of salt.  It was comforting in a way that I felt I was actually detaching from India (since it's not really a saucy curry dish) yet still was staying connected to the afterglow.
I made happy noises at the table and I was asked to stop.  That's usually a good sign.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment