Search this blog

Translate

Friday, April 17, 2015

Green Puy and Carrot Daal

France takes pride as having an AOC (appellation d'origine contrôlée) on just about anything they think can only be produced on this land using its secret methods.  You can have AOC chickens, foie gras, chiles wine, champagne, cheese.. and even lentils.  This label is very territorial.  If you produce the exact same thing 5 meters from the border of the protected name of the region, you cannot have the prized AOC label.  It's not a bad thing, but it makes me laugh to find that really almost anything can have an AOC.  Lentilles du Puy are the prized French green lentil from the Puy en Velay known to be the "caviar of the poor."  Aside from lump eggs and black beluga lentils, I have to admit these green dainty little lentils do provoke a certain level of happiness.. especially when I pull them away from their traditional pairings of lardons and sausage and make them ultimately sublime in a simple Indian dal.
I could eat this way every single day of my life and be happy.
Actually, I eat this way quite often.. which is probably what makes me so naturally happy..
Serves 5-6 as a side
Ingredients
1 heaping cup green lentils du puy (not mung), soaked at least 1 hour
2 small carrots, grated
2 bay leaves
3 cloves garlic, grated
1 tbsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp sea salt`
1/2 tsp turmeric
4 cups water
Seasoning:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
pinch asafoetida (hing)
2 dried red chiles
squeeze of lime for garnish
Directions
1.  Place everything but the seasoning in a pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, until lentils are tender.
2.  Meanwhile make the seasoning.  Heat the oil in a wok and add in the cumin and mustard seeds until they crackle.  Add in the hing and dried red chiles and cook for about 30 seconds.  Transfer to the simmering lentils.
Easy.

I served mine with rice and Kerala Fish curry.
I also had some Cabbage Sambharo I added later and forgot to photograph in the lovely thali.

No matter how extravagant my other sides are.. my favorite part is always the daal.  
Hands down.
The Puy lentils are all they are hyped up to be.  
They are extraordinary little beings I'll be inviting into my body more often!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment