Search this blog

Translate

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Zucchini Sundried Tomato Feta Terrine

We are well into spring and it already feels like summer!
The mornings are still a bit nippy, but after oons and evenings are bathed in warmth and sunshine, with the slightest bit of outdoor time being a source of energy.  5 minutes in the sun is enough for my skin to absorb plenty of astral pleasure, making me feel happy and resourced, and excited for the upcoming family events.
I even crave cooling foods, which is a nice change from my soup moods.
I don't know where this urge came from, but I wanted to make a zucchini terrine.  I had this fruitcake-like image of red and green specks laced with feta and sliced like a loaf of bread.  I bought the zucchini with this idea in mind last week, and for a day or two it's been calling me, reminding me to use it before it starts to sadden.
This festive savory loaf image became reality with this terrine, into which I spread some crumbled mackerel to make it wholesome.
Serves 5-6 as an appetizer
Ingredients
4 eggs, well beaten
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup milk (I used goat)
2 zucchini, sliced into quarters
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, grated
1 tsp dried thyme
Pinch fleur de sel
1/2 tsp piment d'espelette
1/2 tsp black pepper grinds
1 can mackerel or tuna, deboned and crumbled
1 cup feta, cubed
Handful chopped sundried tomatoes
Directions
1.  Heat the oil in a sautee pan and add the zucchini slices, garlic, thyme, piment d'espelette, salt, and pepper.  Cook, stirring for about 5 minutes, then remove from heat and add the sundried tomatoes.
2.  In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, cream, and milk together.
3.  In a rectangular cake mould (mine was 30x10x10 cm or 12x4x4 in), place some parchment paper into the bottom so that it covers the sides as well.  Spoon in half the zucchini tomato mixture and sprinkle half the feta over it.
4.  Place the crumbled fish over the feta in an even layer, then repeat with the remaining zucchini mixture and feta.  Pour the egg mixture over it all.
5.  Bake at 165°C 335 °F for 55-60 minutes, then let cool about 20 minutes before unmoulding it onto a plate.   If you are using muffin tins or something remarkably more shallow, reduce the cooking time by half.  10 cm is pretty deep, so mine took a good hour.
6.  Slice and serve warm or cold, but not hot.

I served mine with some roasted asparagus and some salad and called it dinner.
It was exactly what I had been imagining.  Refreshing, nourishing, and full of flavor...
Asparagus is the best part of this season...

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment