Search this blog

Translate

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Lemon and Savory Navy Bean Dip

If you know me at all, you know I love my beans any time of day, any kind of way.  During happy hour, I usually lean towards hummus, which is the most incredible bean dip to ever exist on the face of our beautiful planet.  The photo of this white bean dip looks slightly like hummus, but tastes nothing like it, which is why I'm not even going to try to call this "White Bean and Lemon Hummus" as some unknowingly might.  If it doesn't have chickpeas or tahini, you can't call it hummus.. ok?
Now that that is cleared out of the way, this bean dip is perfectly suitable to be served at my table for it has a number of ingredients that make me spin on my toes.
I was gifted some fresh savory from the garden which I wanted to glorify, but fresh rosemary would have been very nice here as well.  The lemon zest gives it a nice zing paired with the garlic. and topped with some high quality olive oil, this dip will make your insides smile and lick your lips.
I unfortunately was not hosting a dinner party.  My supply of food urges outweighed the fact that I can't have anyone over properly until I finish painting and move my bed back into the bedroom.  No problem, though, this freezes very well (ungarnished) and can be popped out for any impromptu visits!
Yield about 3.5 cups
Ingredients
30 cL (10 fl.oz) dried navy beans, soaked overnight
2 bay leaves
1 sprig savory, still on the stick
2 dried chiles de arbol
1 tsp sea salt
5 cups water
5 cloves garlic, peeled
Leaves from 2 sprigs savory
Juice and zest from 1 lemon
Many grinds black pepper
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (top quality)
Garnish:
Black salt (or any fancy salt)
Few grinds black pepper
Few drizzles of that olive oil
Directions
1.  Place the beans, water, bay leaves, savory sprig, dried chiles, and sea salt in a slow cooker and cook on low for at least 6 hours.
2.  Remove the bay leaves and savory, then drain reserving about 2 cups cooking liquid.
3.  Using a stick blender, blend the cooked beans with the dried chiles, garlic, savory leaves, 2 Tbsp olive oil, lemon juice with zest, black pepper, and a bit of the reserved cooking water.  If it's still hot, it will be a bit lumpy, but as it cools, the texture will become creamy.
4.  Once at room temperature, taste and adjust the seasoning.  You may need to blend in a bit more reserved cooking water to give it a smooth creamy texture as beans tend to stiffen as they cool.  I used about 1 cup.

Serve in dipping bowls topped with an extra drizzle of olive oil, some Hawaiian black salt, and an extra grind of black pepper.
I served mine with carrot sticks and tortilla chips alongside some haddock Ceviche.  Cucumber sticks would have been a nice dipping item as well.
The lemony garlicky savory goodness of this dip provides quite an enjoyable sensation in your mouth.  It made me want to spread it all over my body so I could grasp its tenderness and commune with my bean addiction..

Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. Muy refrescante especialmente con este calor ...

    ReplyDelete