Search this blog

Translate

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wild Strawberry Tart

My very first dessert! Woohoo! I usually like salty over sweets, but I found these lovely wild strawberries in my yard and I kind of wanted to try my luck with a strawberry tart! It turned out delicious. I used a kitchen scale (that I initially bought to weigh my baby dinosaurs) to measure my ingredients exactly. I didn't work my pastry cream long enough, though.. it should have been thicker and I should have put in a little more elbow grease.
BUT
The taste was spot on.
Ingredients:
  • 750 g (1.5 lbs) strawberries
  • 1 pie crust in dough form
  • 30 g (1 oz) powdered sugar or regular sugar
  • 30 g (1 oz) flour
  • 20 cL (7 fl ounces) whole milk
  • 2 egg yolks
Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 250°F. Spread your pie crust in a buttered tin over baking paper. Poke holes in the crust with a fork, and put another layer of baking paper and some raw rice or beans on top for weight. Cook for 20 minutes, then let cool.
2. For the pastry cream, heat some milk on low heat in a pan and add half the sugar, then all the flour and mix well.
3. In a separate salad bowl, beat the egg yolks and the rest of the sugar. Pour a little of the hot milk and mix well. Then dump this mixture into the pan you are heating the milk in.
4. While on low heat, beat and beat and beat until the mixture kind of solidifies. Your arm will hurt. This may be a good use for an electric beater? Once it solidifies, take off the heat and let cool.
5. Fill your pie crust with the pastry cream, and lay your cut and washed strawberries on top. Refridgerate for a few hours before serving. If you have a very sweet tooth, you can add powdered sugar on top.

This was a hit! My first dessert! A little runny, but that won't happen next time. The cool thing is that you don't have to put strawberries. You can do this with raspberries, kiwis, peaches... or a mix! Also, I used eggs from my mother in law's hens, so the pastry cream is a lot more yellow than it would be with grocery store eggs. They are so much better though!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. YUM- excited to try a sweet! I am the same way too, my fellow Salty Sista ;)

    ReplyDelete