Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Creamy Asparagus Pasta

Asparagus + Cream = Love
I made this for myself one day Eric wanted fries, again, and I wasn't feeling it. This is light and vege, so it could be a side dish to a piece of meat .. grilled chicken or pork chops.
Serves 3 as main course
Ingredients:
1 jar white asparagus (or green, whatever)
4 cloves garlic, peeled
4-5 fresh mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 tbsp EVOO
1 tsp lemon zest
dash of nutmeg
3/4 cups heavy cream
salt/fresh ground pepper
3/4 cup freshly shredded parmesan
few leaves fresh basil
300g pasta cooked al dente (I used a little more than half the package)
Directions:
1. Empty the jar and cut the tips off the asparagus. Put the rest in a blender with the garlic and a little water.
2. Sautée the mushrooms in some EVOO and salt to extract the moisture.
3. Add the asparagus mixture, nutmet, and lemon zest to the mushrooms on low heat and heat through. Then add the cream, heat, and add salt and pepper. Do not under salt!
4. When the pasta is al dente, reserve 1/4 cup cooking water and drain the rest. Toss with the parmesan, then add to the pan with the asparagus mixture. Add the asparagus tips and mix to coat thoroughly. Let leat through until desired tenderness of pasta is obtained. If the sauce is too thick, add some of the reserved pasta water.

Serve garnished with some fresh basil leaves.
I used a mix of bowtie pasta and serpentini mainly because I couldn't decide which ones I wanted. It could work with any pasta, though. The mix of lemon zest is an interesting touch! I'm going to start using more of that and nutmeg to my cream sauces.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment