Search this blog

Translate

Monday, October 14, 2013

Chettinad Chicken Curry

A meal went uneaten the day it was cooked... which is fine because the flavors are better the next day.
Today was filled with sleeping in, working out like a crazy person, grocery shopping, cooking, working although I shouldn't have, and then cooking again.  It's a pattern that fits me quite well.  I didn't have any eye twitching going on during any of the events, which is a good sign.
When your eye twitches beyond your control the only thing you want to do is rip your face off.  Really, it's very annoying.
Anyhow, the day's events allowed for a very very late lunch (4pm), and my dinner plans were already on their way to completion when I realized after the happy hour shrimp and oysters that I really wasn't hungry enough to eat a real meal.
Yes it's oyster season and I'm on "vacation", so I get oysters at happy hour.  It didn't hurt that the fish lady almost forced me to buy them.. bringing up the fact that it was finally oyster season and these ones are great.  They were a bit too creamy for me, but I can't turn down a good oyster deal.  I'd rather get sick from non fresh fish than pass up on an oyster opportunity.
Are you getting my drift here?
So those oysters were so filling that when dinner was ready... it was ready for tomorrow's lunch, because I had no more room left for appreciation.
Which is a pity because I made chicken curry.. and from what I licked off the spoon, a dang good and spicy chicken curry with tons of flavor from SMTC.
Ingredients
2.5lbs (1,2kg) chicken breast, cubed
1 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 chopped onion
1 Tbsp grated ginger
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 Tbsp kasoori methi (fenugreek leaves)
1 sprig curry leaves (I'm all out)
1 cup water
juice from 1/2 lemon
salt to taste
Spices dry roasted & ground:
1 1/2" piece cinnamon
3 green cardamoms
7 dried red chilis (I used 2 and it was already very spicy)
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
1/2 cup coconut (I used dessicated)
Directions
1.  Dry roast the seeds, chills, and coconut and grind into a powder.  Set aside.
2.  Heat the oil in a wok and and add fizz the turmeric.
3.  Add the onions and stir until they start to color, then add the ginger and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
4.  Add the tomatoes and cook until mushy.
5.  Add the spice grind and curry leaves and stir until incorporated.
6.  Add the chicken and coat.  Cook for 5 minutes.
7.  Add water and stir, then simmer uncovered for another 20 minutes.
8.  Add the kasoori methi and lemon juice.  Taste and add salt if needed.

Serve with rotis with cilantro as garnish if you have it.
This one was exploding with flavor.  It hit the spot.. and didn't stop...
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment