Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Kala Chana Remix

I can't get my mind off of you,
The way you taste, a rushing burst of pleasure
The way you feel, first as I discover your texture, firm but creamy
The way you warm me up as you travel through me
The way it just keeps getting better and better as the days pass
The way I crave you when you're gone
The way it feels so familiar, yet different every time....
So this time, Kala Chana, you'll be well decorated with the thickness of besan and the tangyness of amchur to keep you warm while you wait for me.
Inspired from SpiceUptheCurry.
Serves 4 as a meal.
Ingredients
1 cup dried kala chana (black chickpeas), washed and soaked overnight
2 tomatoes
1 green chili, seeded
1 clove garlic
1 inch ginger
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 dried red chili
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp besan (chickpea flour)
1/2 tsp chili powder (to taste)
1 tsp garam masala
1 1/2 tsp amchur (mango powder)
Salt to taste
Chopped cilantro for garnish (I wish I had some)
Directions
1.  Cook the kala chana in the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours or until tender.
2.  Blend together the tomatoes, green chili, garlic, and ginger into a purée.  Set aside.
3.  Heat the oil in a wok.  Add the cumin seeds, coriander seeds and red chili.  Cook until the cumin sputters.
4.  Add the besan and stir.  It should made a sort of paste and the raw besan smell should disappear.
5.  Add the purée and cook, stirring a few minutes.  Add the chili powder, garam masala, and amchur and stir to incorporate.
6.  Add in the cooked kala chana with some of the cooking water.  Add as much of the cooking water as you like.  If you want a thick curry, just add enough to cover.  If you like it soupy with lots of sauce, add it all.  Bring to a boil once, then let sit for 10 minutes so the flavor absorbs.
7.  Taste and adjust the seasoning.  Add salt if it needs it.

Serve with rotis and rice, alone or in a thali.  I had this solo with a spoon.
I didn't have any cilantro, but it would have been excellent with this.
Now I can close my eyes and float away....

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment