Search this blog

Translate

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Split Dal in Coconut Chutney

I'm in this mood lately where all I want to eat is beans and lentils.  I went completely nuts with my black beans this week, scarfing them down for 2 meals a day until they were gone.. and I licked my plate each time to savor the last drop of that black bean juice.  The week before I had an Indian dinner party and did the same with my leftover toor dal.  Now I want it again.  I'm finally home for at least a whole week and my first cooked meal of the week absolutely had to involve split something if not everything.   I didn't have any overnight soaking time so I went straight for the quickly cooked dal.
Tonights guests are chana dal, green split peas, and split beans.  After rummaging through my freezer for inspiration, I found a tupperware of some coconut chutney that usually goes with dosas.
Aaah I shall cook the dal in this with a bit of water and see what happens.
As it is simmering, the house is filled with that lovely dosa memory from India.  That chutney is really to die for.  I guess it was hidden under the mole and lazy hummus so I didn't see it at each freezer opening.
Serves 4-5
Ingredients
1/3 cup chana dal, well rinsed
1/3 cup green split peas, well rinsed
1/3 cup dried split fava beans, well rinsed
1 cup coconut chutney
3 cups water
1 cup chopped cauliflower
3 green chilis, seeded and sliced (I used fresh piment d'espelette)
1/4 cup shredded cabbage
1/4 cup green peas
1 Tbsp black mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
pinch of hing (asafoetida)
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 Tbsp oil
juice from 1 lime
salt to taste
chopped green onion for garnish
Directions
1.  In a pot, add the rinsed chana dal, split peas, and split favas with the water and the coconut chutney.  Bring to a boil, then simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
2.  Make the seasoning.  Heat the oil in a wok.  Add the mustard seeds and cook until they crackle, then add the curry leaves, hing, turmeric, chili powder, and chilis.  Cook for a few seconds, then add the cauliflower, peas and cabbage.
3. Stir fry for a few minutes, then add to the dal.
4.  Bring to another boil, then turn off heat.  Add lime juice.  Taste and add salt if necessary.

Serve over rice with some chopped green onion and more chili if necessary.
I like to add my little signature Thai chili from time to time.. it makes it special and makes me melt with pleasure..
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment