Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Pepinos con Chile y Limon (Chile Lemon Cucumbers)

It's like going back in time...
Before coming to France, the only way I ever prepared cucumbers were with lemon and special Mexican chile powder used on various fruits and vegetables.
Tajìn.
Ah the wormhole I was sucked through when I was offered some Tajìn and limon with the offered shot of Patron at a Mexican restaurant in Lyon, Chango Mamboo.  I was happier about the Tajìn than the tequila (and the entire meal by the way).  I just kept licking the palm of my hand and sprinkling it on, and licking it off.  Before leaving I asked the waiter where I could get some.  I wanted to relive the pepino experience and maybe even sprinkle it on a sour mango if I could get my hands on one.
"You can't get it here.  I have it sent from Mexico."
I must have gone from bubbly to flat when he told me that.  I turned and told him thanks.  He hesitated for a minute, poured out half the Tajìn into a glass and held out the rest of the bottle for me to take home.  The bubbles came rushing back into my smile as I thanked him several times, then left.
Ingredients
1 long firm cucumber, peeled and sliced into spears
2 tsp Tajìn (or other chili powder)
juice from 1/2 lemon
Directions
1.  Toss together.
2.  Let sit, refrigerated for at least 30 minutes so the juice renders.

Don't forget to drink the juice at the end!
I served mine at happy hour with some kale chips and other various goods.
Those kale chips were a big hit as well!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment