Search this blog

Translate

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Brussels Sprouts with Garlic and Angel Hair Chile

This morning, shortly after waking, I crossed paths with something incredibly intruiguing.
Tianjin angel hair chile.
I'm not sure if this northern Chinese chile grows as angel hair or if it is just sold that way, but either way, the fact that a new element was introduced to me turned my energy dial from 5 to 10 (10 being the maximum.)
Now, brussels sprouts are something I've never cooked before.  They are a vague distant memory of something quite disgusting, usually mushy and with a foul aftertaste.  But now with a few years of experience and a partly mature brain, I couldn't quite possibly imagine why brussels sprouts would not be delicious.  I mean, they're like baby cabbage.  Cabbage is delicious.  Anything miniature of anything else is also usually delicious (baby carrots, baby corn, baby romanesco, etc).  My challenge of the day was to cook brussels sprouts myself and make them delicious, which in the end was not very difficult to do, especially when you let them keep some texture instead of becoming mush.
Serves 2
Ingredients
300g (10.5oz) brussels sprouts, halved
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 sprig rosemary
2 Tbsp EVOO
juice from 1/2 lemon
few cracks black pepper
pinch Tianjin angel hair chile
Directions
1.  Heat the oil in a wok and add in the brussel sprout halves and rosemary.  Cook for about 4-5 minutes until lightly colored, then shake around.
2.  Add in the garlic, black pepper, and angel hair chile.  Cook for another 1-2 minutes, deglazing with the lemon juice.
3.  Remove the rosemary and serve.

Do NOT, pair it with salt cod filets.
DO serve alongside any other non salted fish, chicken, or steak.
You see how the last 3 recipes I've posted go with just about "anything?"

I just learned tonight that salt cod (morue salée) is meant to be eaten in a soup or stew.
Oops.
That stuff is SALTY!!  Even after rinsing and soaking... please do NOT cook them as filets.  It is not their business being a filet.  It is their business being a condiment or a base for some sort of fish stock.

That angel hair chile worked wonders with the brussels sprouts.  They are not very spicy.  Similar to piment d'espelette.. which have a very distinct flavor and mild heat. 
I very much enjoyed the pairing with this vegetable subzi.
I'd rather warn you.. it will be making an appearance hear and there in many of my dishes from now on.
I'm hooked...
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment