Search this blog

Translate

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Tangerine Chess Pie

This is a staple in the southern states today but it's origins source it from New England dating back to colonial times.  It may have gotten its name from being kept in a chest during travelling.  Aah yes, a pie chest.  That's the type of thing I can imagine myself owning.
I chose this recipe for Christmas dessert because oranges and tangerines symbolize prosperity and wealth.  There are many tales as to why that is, but whatever the reason, you may have noticed that those fruit seem to be plentiful this time of year.  In France, they seem to be tossed around and offered.  In the US, they are commonly placed in Christmas stockings.  One tale mentions that St. Nicolas had given gold to a poor family of 3 daughters so they could offer dowry to their future husbands.  He had offered this in stockings that had been hung to dry above the fireplace.  Another tale mentions that the orange or tangerine offered a nice exotic treat post WW2, in place of chocolate.  Either way, there was no way anyone will ever get me to make Buche or Yule Log.  Even if it's "traditional,"  it's just not my thing.  This fruity pie is the perfect way to express my desires.
Inspired by SouthernLiving.
I had to halve the sugar on that original recipe because it was just too much.  I'm not sure how any reasonable person in their right mind could eat something that sweet.
Serves 6-8
Ingredients
1 homemade shortcrust (I used half buckwheat, half T80), pre-baked 10 minutes
150g (3/4 cup) brown sugar or cassonade
1 packet vanilla sugar or 1 tsp extract
45g (approx 1/4 cup) melted butter
4 eggs, beaten
1 Tsp flour
1 Tsp cornmeal
2 tsp tangering zest
1/3 cup freshly squeezed tangerine juice (3-4 tangerines)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
supremes from 3-4 tangerines (pssst.. this is the hardest part)
Directions
1.  Whisk together everything but the supremes.
2.  Pour into the pre-baked shortrust and bake at 175°C 350°F for 40 minutes or until the custard has set and the top is golden.
3.  With your nimble little fingers, decorate the edges with the supremes.  I used 4 tangerines and probably got about 6 decent wedges.
Hey, it's not ALWAYS about the looks.  It's about the Love..
4.  Let cool 1 hour.

Now.. lets talk about the taste.  This is a very sweet dessert.  It's sweeter than I'm used to, so I'm glad I halved the sugar.  It's a perfect holiday dessert because of its decadence.  It's generous flavor embalms you with that acidic citrus touch.  You can taste the light squeeze of lemon and all that tangerine zest.  If I would have done a better job with the supremes, it is something I would be proud to offer at a restaurant... even a French one!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment