Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Best Paella Ever

I've always loved paella.. but this is the best one I've ever had in my entire life! And no, it's not just because my dad made it! It was really fun sharing the cooking experience with him while he was in town. He was very impressed with me, and I was very impressed with his ability to make ANYTHING spontaneously delicious.. I'm talking strange combinations that I will soon share.
This dish served 5 with 2 getting seconds
Ingredients:
2 cups basmati rice
3 lbs live fresh mussels or clams
3 chopped merguez sausages (sub pepperoni)
500g frozen seafood mix
1 chopped onion
3 chopped cloves garlic
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 chopped bell peppers
2 tbsp EVOO
1 cup white wine
2-3 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp turmeric
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
for garnish:
lime slices (not lemon, but lime says the brother)
fresh chopped parsley
fresh chopped chives
Directions:
1. Saute the onions, garlic, small pieces of sausage, pepper flakes, chili powder and turmeric in olive oil until golden and then put the frozen seafood in it.
2. Put in the uncooked rice, stir around for 5 minutes, and pour in the tomatoes, bell peppers, wine and herbs.
3. When liquid is absorbed, pour in 2 cups of the broth.
4. After the rice is 50-60% cooked, add fresh mussels or clams, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until most of the shellfish open and add any broth if the rice doesn't seem cooked enough.
5. Stir well and serve with parsley, lime slices, and chives on top.
I think I just drooled reminiscing

** UPDATE**
I have just been told that this is ABSOLUTELY NOT the way to make a real Paella. Apparently, it is sacrilege to use Basmati Rice and wine, and the spice combination is more "special."
Once I get the REAL recipe, I will try and compare.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment