Search this blog

Translate

Saturday, August 28, 2010

The ROOTS Roast

Love the Roots! So when my dad was in town, he inspired me to use beets in different ways. This week my MIL came over for dinner and I had no idea what to do. They are the hardest since they come over most, they've had the rotation of most of my recipes, and I hate making guests eat the same thing over and over again. I looked in the freezer and found a nice pork roast (here they come bundled up in string) so I just went with the flow. I used almost all roots for this dish and everyone was impressed with the unusual flavor! I just threw in a bunch of stuff I had on hand and needed to use up.
This served 4 plus 1 leftover. It depends on how much you feel like putting in actually.
Ingredients:
1 roast (I used pork, but use whatever)
roots: 1 beet
1 turnip
10 very small potatoes or 5 large ones
1 carrot
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
non roots: 1 cup fresh pumpkin
1 cup beer (take a few swigs and sacrifice the rest)
1 cube chicken bouillon (or beef if you're using beef roast)
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp thyme
salt/pepper
Directions:
1. Peel and chop into chunks all the vegetables.
2. Place your roast in the crock pot, and all the veggies around it... keep your beets on the bottom.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and pour the beer in.
4. Wipe your tear off, you can always just grab another beer.
5. Cook on low for 6-7 hours or however long your crockpot takes to cook things.
Serve.. well, just serve.. it is a one pot meal!

Everyone loved it. It's sweet, red, earthy, but not too much, and the beer just makes excellent broth!
My FIL went in for seconds.. SECONDS!! He never does that! Especially at dinner.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment