Search this blog

Translate

Friday, October 1, 2010

Fish Chowder

Holy mackerel, fishy goodness!! I have been really into soups lately, and since it's nippy here, I'm not breaking any cultural laws. Growing up in the desert means the weather is definately not going to decide what you feel like eating when. If that was the case, I wouldn't even know what soup is. Here, there are "times" for certain meals. Like if you feel like having a tomato salad in the winter, people will be surprised.
Anyway, I found this to be particularly tasty!
Serves 4
Ingredients:
1 lb white fish, chopped into cubes (I used monkfish/angler fish)
1 cup frozen baby shrimp
handful of frozen mussels (if you have any)
4 cups chicken broth
4-5 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
1 can corn, drained
1 chopped onion
2 carrots, peeled and diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 bell pepper, diced (I used yellow)
handful of frozen green peas
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp EVOO
garnish:
chopped green onion
fresh ground pepper
red pepper flakes (those find their way into everything these days)
parmesan/shredded swiss

Interestingly enough, I had everything on hand already!

Directions:
1. Brown the onions in the oil while you finish chopping your potatoes and carrots, then throw those in your pot.
2. Add the celery, corn and chicken broth, bring to a boil, and let simmer covered for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
3. Add the fish, peas, and bell pepper and simmer for 3-5 minutes (until the fish is cooked).
4. Add the shrimp, mussels, and cream and heat through. This soup should be chunky.

Serve with desired garnish and pat yourself on the back!

I actually did this in my pressure cooker... the only difference being that my potatoes and carrots cooked under pressure for about 6-7 minutes. This is also adaptable to the crockpot, if you do steps 3 and 4 an hour before serving.
I really loved this soup.  Angler is cool because the flesh stays firm, and doesn't disintegrate.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment