Search this blog

Translate

Monday, March 21, 2011

Pork Fajita Plate

Mmm I miss my Mexicans! That's seriously what Europe needs more of.
Eric requested me to make this for company this weekend in the light of celebrating his birthday, so I knew I had to make it perfect. We're missing the tortillas (I know, sacriledge) but it's too hard to find quality ones here on a regular basis. When I see them, I buy, but I'm not trying to spend 4€ for 8 corn tortillas, especially when I know I'll probably eat 4 and Eric will probably eat all 8! This recipe comes from what I think I remember, but is in no way "the official fajita" recipe.. it just came to mind this way, and tasted right.
Serves 6-7.. but I don't know we haven't finished the leftovers yet.
Ingredients:
2 lbs pork, sliced stir fry style
1 diced jalapeño (or not, for spice)
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
chopped cilantro
juice from 1 lemon
some cerveza
2-3 bell peppers, sliced
1 tomato, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 bunch green onions, half sliced lengthwise, half chopped
4 tbsp EVOO
Directions:
1. The night before, mix all the spices together with the chopped jalapenõ, lemon juice, and drizzled beer and rub it all over your sliced pork (or whatever meat you desire, actually). Place in fridge or let marinate for 2 hours.
2. The day of, heat 2 tbsp EVOO in a heavy based pan and cook the meat. Add the sliced green onions and half the chopped cilantro. Stir around so all the pieces brown, then cover and let simmer approximately 30 minutes or while you chop your veggies and do the rest.
3. In another skillet, heat the remaining 2 tbsp, oil and add the bell beppers and onions, stirring. After about 3 minutes, add the tomatoes. The vegetables should be to your desired crunchiness.
4. Check and adjust the seasoning in your meat.

Serve with warmed tortillas, mexirice, and black beans.. and top with sour cream, chopped green onions, and cilantro with a wedge of lemon or lime.

Oh wow.. Mexigasm!!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment: