Search this blog

Translate

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Nasi Goreng Kampung

Things just keep falling from the heavens and into my plate!
I was daydreaming of chicken pot pie today, when Elise sacrificed into my hands some of her Malaysian spice packets to my greatest pleasure.  Nasi Goreng is the national Malaysian dish, composed of rice fried in a lovely spice paste made of anchovies, green chilis, shallots, garlic, ginger, and other vegetables.  The more elaborate versions have prawns and/or meat and vegetables like long beans and spinach.  I can't really compare what I'm doing here tonight with the real thing, but I can say the aroma wafting is really a treat.. especially since I've been off asian cooking for a while.  I want to dive into my sautée pan.
I can't take much credit for the spice mix, since it came in this nice little packet
But I will take credit for the adornments.
Serves 3
Ingredients
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 carrot, diced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tsp ginger, grated
1 cube frozen spinach (or handful fresh)
1 packet Nasi Goreng Kampung
1 cup basmati rice, rinsed, then cooked
4 eggs, beaten
garnish:
lime wedges
fried shallots
crushed peanuts
Directions
1.  Heat the oil in a wok and cook the onions until translucent.
2.  Add the carrots, garlic, and ginger and cook until the onions start to brown, then add the spinach.
3.  Add some of the Nasi Goreng and rice.  Stir fry on high for about 6 minutes until the seasoning has coated everything well.
4.  Make a well in the wok and add the beaten eggs.  Stir the eggs with a spatula as you would do scrambled eggs.  When almost cooked, stir everything together.  Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
5.   Serve topped with crushed peanuts, fried shallots, and a mega squeeze of lime.

Thank you Elise (again), you Rock (again)!

This seemingly basic dish had so much flavor it's not "just rice,"
it's a journey...
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment