Search this blog

Translate

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Watercress Pesto

I love how you can sub basil for almost anything bright green and call it pesto...
It's a pleasant discovery every time and in no way is it sacriledgious to the original pesto.
Plus it allows you to make pesto when basil isn't in season.  I've done it with arugula, parsley, and kale with excellent results.
Basil is not in season right now, and while absolutely not shopping for food, I happened to stumble upon a lovely bunch of locally produced watercress.  I've seen these deep green delicate leaves before but have never really tried them.  They are much smaller than mâche (lamb's lettuce), with an intriguing taste.  With piqued curiosity and in need of a base for tonight's pizza, I now proudly present Watercress Pesto.
Yield approximately 1 cup
Ingredients
1 bunch washed watercress (about 100g)
4 cloves peeled garlic
1 handful parmesan
handful roasted pumpkin seeds (or pine nuts if you have them)
1/4 cup (I admit I didn't measure) EVOO
dollop of heavy cream
lots of freshly cracked pepper


Blend it

Then toss with pasta, or stir into risotto, or use it as a base for pizza.. as I did...
 and enjoy the finished product.. as I did
It felt so nice to work the dough in my hands after a whole week of eating simple things like rice and noodles and bread with water.
Am I feeling better?  No, but at least I'm happy to eat what I want.  The end result is the same but I'm in such a better mood!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment