Search this blog

Translate

Monday, May 12, 2014

Cilantro Lime Avocado Cookies

I've been speaking to my avocados, and they kindly advised me to use them in place of butter or oil in my oven.  Interesting, I replied, but won't you taint the flavors?
That's the whole point, they replied.
And so I agreed to give it a try.
Adapted from AtablespoonofLiz
yield 35 cookies
Ingredients
1/3 cup (75g) room temperature butter
1 small avocado, mashed (about 95g)
3/4 cup (120g) cane sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 Tbsp lime juice (I used 1 whole lime)
2 Tbsp lime zest (I zested 2 limes)
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 3/4 cup (240g) flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
topping:
cane sugar
pinch cayenne
shredded coconut
extra lime zest if you have it
Directions
1.  Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda.
2.  In a separate mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together, then add the egg and avocado until the mixture is nice and smooth.
3.  Stir in the lime juice, zest, and cilantro until well incorporated.
4.  A little at a time, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.  
5.  Plop tablespoon sized balls of dough, drop them into the topping, and press down on a cookie sheet.
6.  Bake for 175°C 350°F for about 12-15 minutes.  Carefully remove and let cool on a wire rack.

Be amazed at what a little thinking out of the box can produce.
The toppings are completely optional, but I feel like my cookies are naked without them.
The cilantro is subtle as is the avocado, but the mix of it all together is perfect with a hint of tang from the lime and a little kick from the cayenne topping.
I'd say these are a win.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment