Search this blog

Translate

Monday, July 14, 2014

Chipotle Black and Pinto Beans

This morning as I woke up with a sudden craving for black beans.  Some nice Tex-Mex spicy black beans.  The type of beans that have you eating right out of the pot after dinner while doing the dishes.  I instinctively jumped up and plugged in my slow cooker, rummaging through my legume cupboard in search of my pearly black beans.  When I found them, peacefully waiting to be chosen, I found I only had 1/2 cup left.
What should I do, voice over my shoulder?  Should I change my plans and go for some kala channa or whole urad daal?
I was going to eat black no matter what at this point.  The voice over my shoulder started to whisper non related suggestions into my ear...so I had to take care of it later, but my half cup of black beans had locked eyes with some pinto beans.  They soon struck up a conversation and when I went to place them back in their places, was surprised to find them in deep osmosis, refusing to be separated.  All this devotion to one another was making me weak in the knees, and I eventually gave in to their pleas.  Why not?  They will give my smokey chipotle black beans some nice depth of flavor and add a different texture.
"I told you so..." said the little voice over my shoulder.
All this time I thought it was trying to tell me an inappropriate story, but it was suggesting all along to give in to the fusion, speaking of the beans..
Serves 4-6
Ingredients
1/2 cup dried black beans
1/2 cup dried pinto beans
3-4 cups water
1 chicken or vegetable bouillon cube
1 large chopped onion
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, grated
3 chiptole chilis in adobo sauce, chopped into chunks
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 tsp ground cumin
Juice from 1 lemon
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp EVOO
Pinch of salt
Garnish:
chopped cilantro
chopped scallions
Directions
1.  Heat the olive oil in a heavy based pan and add the onions with a pinch of salt.  Let color a few minutes, then add the carrots.  Cook for about 5-10 minutes.
2.  Add the garlic and cook another minute.
3.  Transfer the lovely mixture into a slow cooker, followed by all the other ingredients.
4.  Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
This is beautiful on its own, but I served mine with some roasted chicken thighs, rice, and avocado slices.
I'm very happy I listened to that little voice over my shoulder.  The mixture of the two beans take this to a whole other level.  The smokiness of the chipotle peppers infuses differently into the black bean than the pinto bean.
Aren't I a lucky one to be able to satisfy myself to this magnitude..all it takes is that little whisper..
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment