Search this blog

Translate

Monday, July 7, 2014

Kadhai Golden Egg Curry

After Kadhai Chicken and Kadhai Paneer, here is my little twist, the Kadhai Golden Egg, inspired by Burmese Golden Egg Curry.
My hallucination day led me to this curry.  This is drug free hallucination, mind you..I just have a powerful imagination at times, mostly when I'm in the kitchen.  While writing this, a memory just flashed before me..the one of my mother cooking diligently, and I walk in, wanting to help, but surely making things worse since I have no idea what to do or how to do it..and my mother freaking out over something seemingly silly, such as moving the carrots over to make space for the salad bowl.  My reaction at that time was.."you get schizophrenic in the kitchen" and that little description lived on for years to come.  I'm not sure the scene went exactly as I described, since it was so long ago, but it's the result that made it so memorable.  Whenever we would talk about being schizophrenic, we were obviously referring to cooking, and only a couple of people in my world would even understand  anything I have just described.  That flash has made me realize tha I am truly my mother's production in the purest form.  I felt "schizophrenic" today...in  a way only my mother would understand..
Serves 4
Ingredients:
6 steamed or hard boiled eggs, peeled
Pinch turmeric
3 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp coriander seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 whole dried chilis
1 large onion, sliced
1 bell pepper, sliced
2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp minced ginger
2 chopped tomatoes
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp amchur (mango powder)
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
1/2 cup whole milk to taste
julienned ginger for garnish
Directions:
1.  Dry roast coriander and fenugreek seeds with the dried chilies.  Crush with a mortar and pestle.  Set aside.
2.  Heat the oil in a wok and fizz in a pinch of turmeric.  Add the peeled eggs and cook until the skin has blistered all around.  Remove and set aside.  Leave about 1 Tbsp oil in the wok and pour out the rest.
3.  In the remaining oil, fry onions until brown.  Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
4.  Add the tomatoes and cook until soft.
5.  Add the ground spice mix, then add some salt and the rest of the spices and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring on low heat.
6.  Add the sliced bell pepper and milk.  Cook until boiling, then reduce heat until bell is desired tenderness.
7.  Add the eggs back in about 5 minutes before serving, to heat through.
I served with some cold Caviar Lentils and Khaman Dhokla

Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. I haven't changed: I'm still just as schizophrenic in the kitchen now as I was before, but now I call it being territorial! I hope José will see this! He should get a kick out of it. Thanks for remembering me in fun (even if a little crazy) ways!!! Love, Maman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh maman You know I'm scarred for life! How could I ever forget? Haha

      Delete