Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Perfect Mashed Potatoes, My Deer

I can't really take the credit for the deer in the plate. I bought it already marinating in this delicious morilles mushroom sauce. All I did was sear it and eat.. it was so tender and delicious!
Since it's Easter, they put out all this fancy food at the store and I couldn't help myself. Come on, deer? How often do you get to eat that?
I did, however, make my own mashed potatoes from scratch! They are the best ever.
My mashed potatoes served 6
Ingredients:
2 lbs potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp butter
salt/fresh ground pepper
handful fresh chopped parsley
Directions:
1. Steam the potatoes with the skin on. How to do this? I used my pressure cooker's steamer basket and let it pressure for 10 minutes. If you have a steamer, check the cooking time. I have no idea.
2. Burn the skin off your fingers peeling your cooked potatoes. I suggest letting them cool a little and go about the rest of your meal. There is a good reason for peeling them after and not before, and that reason is TASTE.
3. Once your potatoes are all peeled, put them in a pot and mash with a potato masher (or fork).
4. Using a whisk, incorporate the butter, milk, and cream while whisking on low heat (mostly to heat them back up from the cool down they got earlier). The whisking puts air bubbles into the potatoes so seem more fluffy and light than heavy and weighing you down after you eat them. Add the parsley, salt and pepper and adjust the liquids accordingly.

Ta da! The perfect mashed potatoes.
I served this with my deer and roasted broccoli. My guests were pleased. Oh and I had also made an appetizer spread with cauliflower but completely forgot to photograph it, so maybe next time!
Meanwhile, look how lovely my deer was!

Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment: