Search this blog

Translate

Monday, June 10, 2013

Grilled Coalfish in Chermoula

I finally got it right: chermoula with cilantro instead of mint.  I'm not saying the mint version was a flop, far from it.. but chermoula was meant to be made with cilantro, and this time around, I had everything I wanted on hand.
Chermoula:
1 cup packed parsley
  1 cup packed cilantro
2 large cloves garlic, peeled
1 whole green chili (jalapeño)
1 Tbsp coriander seeds, toasted
1 Tbsp cumin seeds, toasted
 juice from 1 lemon
1/2 tsp salt
approx 1/4 cup EVOO

Toast the seeds, then grind.  Blend everything together, adding the EVOO a little at a time until it forms a paste.
Use as a marinade on meat or fish, or as a refreshing salsa.  I used some plump Coalfish filets (Lieu Noir or Cabillaud Noir) but as you can see they are not black per se.  This would work with any firm white fish or chicken.. or rabbit or frog legs or whatever is floating your cruiseship named Desire.

I broiled the filets 7 minutes in the oven on EVOO brushed foil on a cookie sheet at the oven position closest to the heat source and it came out perfectly flaky without falling apart during transfer.  That is the way I like my fish.  I served with some toasted whole wheat bulgur and served with some rawness (tomatoes and cucumber).
I snapped the photo before adding the sauce:
1 plain yogurt (1/2 cup)
1 1/2 Tbsp tahini
2 Tbsp chermoula
1 tsp ground cumin
few cracks fresh pepper

The sauce is wonderful on raw veggies, but would also do well with pita or as a dip for.. well, anything.. especially raw veggies.  Omg I had a radishgasm with this sauce!
Yes, that is my MO...simple but perfected.

I just received my copy of Burma: Rivers of Flavor today so I plan to experiment in the very near future with the depth of Burmese flavors.  I could have easily started with Kachin Fish Curry (page 142) but when I discovered the book resting patiently in my mailbox, my coalfish was already marinating in the chermoula.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment