Search this blog

Translate

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Shan Yellow Tofu (Tohu Thoke)

Unless you make it yourself, you can never really be sure of what you're eating.  That is why I jumped with excitement after seeing a recipe for tofu in my Burma bible...well, my only source besides the internet.
Interestingly, Burmese tofu is made from besan (chickpea flour) instead of soy, which some people don't always appreciate.
For 1 lb tofu from p. 126
Ingredients:
1 cup (105g) besan or chickpea flour
3 cups water
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp turmeric
Directions:
1.  In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, salt and turmeric.
2.  Add 1 cup of water and mix to eliminate any lumps.  This is a very important step.
3.  Boil the other 2 cups of water in a wide shallow heavy pan, such as a wok, then add the chickpea flour mixture while stirring.
4.  Lower the heat to medium and cook while stirring for 5 minutes, making sure the mixture doesn't stick to the bottom.
5.  Lightly oil a baking dish 7-8 square inch or so that the mixture is maximum 1" high when poured.
For silky tofu, refridgerate at least 1 hour before slicing and serving.
For salad or frying, refridgerate at least 4 hours or overnight.

I did a finger dip and it was already quite tasty as warm goop, so I can only imagine as a firm chilled cube in a salad or stir fried with some veggies.

Tohu Thoke
Salad dressing for 1 lb Shan Tofu (p. 51):
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp soy sauce (or GF alternative)
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp shallot oil (I used EVOO + 1 Tbsp dried shallots)
few chopped kaffir lime leaves (or sub chopped cilantro)
2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
Spoon over your Shan Tofu and toss lightly to coat.

Interesting!  This tastes nothing like regular tofu (of course, I didn't expect it to) and the texture was very soft.  It is my first time using karrif lime leaves as well and I found it full of flavor and refreshing.
I refridgerated it covered in plastic wrap.  I'm going to let it sit uncovered in the fridge today so it hardens for a slightly different texture.  I liked this very much and I'm already imagining all types ways to eat this.  The best part is that it's Fight Food: high protein, low fat, low carb, extreme taste!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment