Search this blog

Translate

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Mung Dal with Asparagus

Getting back on track with help from ShowMetheCurry.  It smells so lovely in my house when I make dal.  I could probably eat dal every day...which is probably in my genes to do so.
What intrigued me in this dal was the asparagus.  I've never seen it used in Indian food and it's something I appreciate in all forms: cream, crunchy, soft, hot cold, whatever.. but in dal? Oh yes let me have it!
Ingredients:
1 cup mung beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
1 lb asparagus, cut into pieces
3 cups water
1/4 tsp turmeric
Seasoning:
1 TbspEVOO
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp cracked peppercorns
1/8 tsp asofetida (hing)
1 Tbsp grated ginger
1 Tbsp grated garlic
1 minced greed chili
1 tomatoes, diced
2 Tbsp curry powder
some red chili powder to taste
lemon juice
salt to taste
Directions:
1.  Cook mung dal in the slowcooker with water and tumeric for approximately 9-10 hours on low.
2.  Make the seasoning by heating the oil and adding the seeds until they crackle.
3.  Add the pepper, hing, ginger, garlic and chili and cook for 30s-1 min or until the raw smell goes away.
4.  Add the tomatoes and cook until the oil separates, then add the asparagus.
5.  Add the dal to the seasoning and bring to a boil.  Simmer approximately 5 minutes or until the asparagus is tender.
6.  Stir in the curry powder, chili powder.  Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding salt if necessary.  The lemon juice can be added to each individual serving.

I'm feeling the renaissance again...and it feels naughty!

Halfway through my meal I decided to add a dollup of plain yogurt which gave it a nice tangy creaminess and a new dimension to the dish.  It's a keeper, and I bet it would be out of this world with toor dal.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment