Search this blog

Translate

Monday, November 12, 2012

Pumpkin Soup

The epitome of American fall comfort food called me to its summit.  
(Oh look at that creamy beauty mark)
I didn't follow a recipe, but I imagined what I wanted it to taste like.. and I made it happen.  These days I'm either inspired or possessed.  It's as if something else takes over my soul when I'm in the kitchen.  Either way, I'm happy with the results, and so is my entourage.
Serves 2 as a meal or 3 as a side
Ingredients:
1 cup roasted pumpkin pulp
1 potato, peeled and cubed
1 carrot, peeled and cubed
1 small turnip, peeled and cubed
1 white part of a leek, sliced crosswise (I usually don't discriminate, but I wanted the soup to stay orange.. no worries though, I used the greens in a different recipe)
1/2 beer
2 cups water
1 cube chicken (or vege) bouillon
1 small handful roasted pumpkin seeds
1 dollop heavy cream or sour cream
2 tbsp butter
salt/fresh ground pepper
Directions:
 1.  In a large pot, sweat the leeks in the butter, then add the carrots, potatoes and turnips.  When it starts to color, pour in the beer and the bouillon cube and simmer approximately 10 minutes.
2.  Add the water, pumpkin, and most of the roasted pumpkin seeds.  Those seeds give it a nice nutty flavor.  If you don't have any, use pine nuts or sunflower seeds, but please don't leave out the seeds!
Bring to a boil and simmer, another 20 minutes or until carrots and turnips are tender.
3.  Bust out the immersible blender, that magnificent tool, and blend to give it a nice velvety texture.  Add more water if too thick.  Taste and add some pepper (I didn't add any salt, but go ahead if that's your deal.)

Serve as a meal or side dish with a dollop of heavy cream or sour cream and a few roasted pumpkin seeds.  I served this as a side to my Entrecote...
and was incapable of finishing my Entrecote.
Mmmmmmmm
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment