Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Roasted Fennel

I got a little bit naughty with some fennel bulbs and beets...
It was my first time eating or cooking fennel bulbs, and now that I've felt the way they melt in my mouth, there is no going back.  I've used fennel seeds before, but there is really no comparison.  It's like comparing cilantro to coriander seeds.  In a certain point in space-time, they are the same, but in their natural NOW state, there is a world of difference.
Fennel bulbs, you will now be part of my life while you are in season.  I will find new ways to make you shine.  My only regret is only having one bulb.  If I would have known how much pleasure they would give me, I would have multiplied the purchase.
Today I roasted them with some root vegetables and chicken.  I was planning on making 3 servings, but it turned into 2.
Ingredients:
1 fennel bulb, sliced
1 beet, peeled and chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped coarsely
1/2 long turnip, quartered
3 chicken legs
EVOO and Walnut oil
drizzle basalmic vinegar
splash of white wine
some chili powder
salt/pepper
Directions:
1.  Get your hands dirty and smother the veggies with a mix of EVOO, Walnut oil, salt, pepper, and basalmic vinegar.
  2.  Place in the oven at 400°F for 35 minutes, flipping once so all sides get roasted.
3.  Add the chicken splashed with a bit of white wine (for deglazing purposes only) and the chili powder.
4.  Cook for another 40 minutes or until chicken is done.

I didn't get a plate shot, but it was just as gorgeous to the eye as to the tongue...
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment