Search this blog

Translate

Friday, November 23, 2012

Spinach Nest Eggs

I'm noticing a pattern here.  My femininity must be trying to make a stand.  Hmm interesting...
  Since the quail eggs I've been enjoying eggs in the oven and making food volcanos... Now apparently I can't stop.  This time I made spinach nests.  I adapted the recipe from turnip greens, which I did not have on hand.  I'm not sure the French even eat turnip greens.  I don't beleive I've ever seen them here.  So I made this just for the sheer pleasure of making nests and having the yolk flow into my plate while eating.
Makes 2 nests
Ingredients:
1/2 red bell, chopped
1 onion, chopped
8-10 cubes frozen spinach (sorry I didn't weigh)
2 organic eggs
2 tbsp butter
Drizzle white wine for deglazing
Salt/pepper
Few shakes chili powder
Grated parmesan
Directions:
1.  Sweat the onions in the butter.  Add some salt to release the moisture.
2.  Add the bell and stir, cooking until almost tender.  Deglaze with the wine (I need to finish the bottle and white just isn't my thing, and I don't waste, so into my recipes it will go until it is done.)
3. Add the defrosted spinach and chili powder.  Stir and heat through.  Taste and adjust the seasoning.
4.  In a baking dish, make 2 nests with the spinach mixture and crack an egg into each one.  Sprinkle with parmesan.  Bake at 400°F for about 10-12 minutes (just check once in a while).
That is the other half of the red bell for a parallel project.

Serve with whatever you want.  I made fries, but it would have been great with wild rice or something unusual like that.
If you haven't hopped the organic bandwagon, it is important to at least eat organic eggs if nothing else.
(Swap the butter for EVOO and this is fight food)
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment