Search this blog

Translate

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Kale Frittata

 Ok ok, so I thought I had finally found kale here in France, but then I realized it was mere chou frisé or savoy cabbage.  I've been researching and kale is only starting to be popular here.  Well, at least in Paris.  The closest I can get to kale from Lyon is in Ferney-Voltaire, which is almost 2 hours away!   The thing is, I left the US before it became the "it" thing, so I have no idea what it tastes like... except for the rare Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana episodes.  Omg salivary flashback!  That was probably the only thing I ever went to Olive garden for.  Endless bowls.  Aaah the memories.
Anyway, the greener leaves off of my chou frisé have become kale to me, and I decided to sautée them with some EVOO, garlic, and pepper before pouring my frittata mixture all over them and popping them into the oven.
And it was delicious.
And I will make it again.
I may need to be corrected on what exactly we call a frittata.   An omelette/spanish tortilla/flan/crustless quiche.  It really is all the same to me.  And those green morsels of goodness are so tasty I could integrate them into almost anything.
Almost.
Serves 4-6
Ingredients
8 eggs
250g garlic evoo sautéed kale (or the next best thing)
1 chopped tomato
2 tsp sage
1/4 tsp nutmeg
handful parmesan
1 cup or more whole milk (I didn't measure)
crumbled feta
1 Tbsp crushed red pepper
salt/pepper
Directions:
1.  Wisk the eggs with the milk, sage, nutmeg, parmesan, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.  Eyeball it for thickness and add milk or cream if necessary.  I'm not being very precise.  Lo siento.
2.  Preheat the oven to 350°F 175°C.
3.  In a pie tin or dish or skillet, pour a bit of the egg mixture, add in the kale and chopped tomato, and cover with the rest of the egg mixture.  Add crumbled feta over the top and cook for about 30 40 minutes.
4.  Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

I served mine with home fries, but a nice salad would have done the trick as well.
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. You are the new Julia Childs with a great sense of humor. I don't have time to try your recipes, but reading your intros always gives me a chuckle. Too cute! And it definitely looks tasty! Maman

    ReplyDelete