Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Blueberry Basil Lime Muffins

Fresh blueberries make me wild.  They do to me in a fruity way what eggplant does to me in a veggie way...except it´s a rare occasion that I stumble upon fresh blueberries at all.. Not to mention finding them at a reasonable price.
It may be a color thing.  I may be wildly attracted to all purple food.
Raspberries vs Blackberries?  The blackberry wins hands down.
My female bearded dragon goes wild when she sees orange.  She just lights up and I can feel her excitement.  Purple food does this to me.  Beets, Eggplant, red cabbage, and...blueberries!
I've made muffins with fresh blueberries before, and they were excellent.  But here, we have something different.  Zesty, fresh, and bursting with berry.  I may be over using the word burst, but I like it, and it adequately describes the way I feel nowadays.
Yield 15 muffins
Ingredients
2 eggs, well beaten
150g (5.3oz) cane sugar
1 packet vanilla sugar (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
1 plain yogurt
60g (2oz) canola oil
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
zest from 1 lime
1 tsp lime juice
1 handful finely chopped fresh basil
75g (2.6oz) organic corn flour
75g (2.6oz) organic whole wheat flour
1 cup fresh blueberries
Directions
1.  Beat together the eggs, sugar, yogurt, lime juice, zest, and oil.  Beat it well, then fold in the basil.
2.  Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.  Carefully stir in the flour mixture until just combined.  Fold in the blueberries.
3.  Fill your buttered muffin tins 3/4 full and bake for 18-20 minutes at 180°C 350°F or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Now try to wait until they cool down before digging in.
I had a flash when I saw the blueberries on sale while inhaling the scent of the basil in my hands.
These two would fusion well together...I'm going to have to make that happen.
And so, these muffins were born, and they will probably have similar cousins next week.. and I may be using herbs in all my future muffins from now on...OooOoh!
Except the Tahini Muffins.  Those are sacred.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment