Search this blog

Translate

Monday, June 16, 2014

Hand-Picked Cherry Bursting Muffins

It may be too late, but I felt incredibly connected today.  After a long period without inner communication, I found much comfort in the energy flowing through me.  This energy told me to go outside and pick cherries.  Why?  Because there are 2 cherry trees in my neighborhood.  One of them has plump juicy cherries that were ripe at the end of May, and I only got to eat a few although a ton of them gorged in sweet sunlight were just begging for me to come get them.  The kids picked all the ones at my height, and after trying and failing many times to climb the tree before giving up, realizing that I might be getting "too old to climb trees barefoot" or maybe just not strong enough, the cherries had been eaten by the birds.  The other tree is not right next to the playground, so the kids don't see it, and the cherries are much much smaller, therefore uninteresting to the little monsters.  They ripen a month later than the other one, so I've been patient..waiting for the right time.  Today, the energy took me under that tree and had me pick the ripest cherries of the bunch that I could reach.  While picking, I knew exactly what I would be doing with them.  No clafoutis..no, no..
I want to make muffins bursting with cherries.
Yes!  The same way they burst when I use fresh blueberries.
And there will be almost more cherry than there is muffin.
Yield 18 muffins
Ingredients
2 well beaten eggs
90g (3oz) canola oil
100g (3.5oz) cane sugar
1 tsp Pain d'Epice spice (or allspice)
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
60g (2oz) ground almonds
70g (2.5oz) whole wheat flour
70g (2.5oz) white flour
400-420g (14-15oz)  pitted cherries
juice from 1/4 lemon
Directions
1.  Squeeze the lemon juice over the pitted cherries and let them macerate while you prepare the rest.
2.  Beat the eggs, oil, sugar, spices, and milk together.  Go ahead and give it all you've got.  Make it nice and frothy...
3.  Beat in the salt, baking powder and soda, salt, and ground almonds.  Mix well.
4.  Ditch the whip and switch to a baking spatula.  Gently stir in the flours until incorporated.
5.  Fold in the macerated cherries until evenly distributed in the batter.
6.  Grease your muffin tins, fill them to 3/4 full, and bake at 180°C for about 20 minutes.
7.  Remove and let cool before removing them or even tasting them.

These aren't the most spectacular or strange muffins, but they are delicious muffins bursting with cherries.. exactly what the energy was expecting...
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment