Search this blog

Translate

Monday, June 23, 2014

Sweet Potato Bun Trung Chien (Omelette Noodle)

I may be going through something inexplicable, but I want to do "Unmade Bed" salads all the time.  I know I've been doing 3 days straight of this, but I can't get enough.. and most importantly, I keep changing up the ingredients so it's really never the same salad.  The thing is, I'm crazy about the order/disorder parallel.  I can't get enough.  It's a blatant brain tease.  You are usually in one of the two categories.. orderly, or chaotic.  But here, you are both, and it's wonderful, and you can just hope it lasts because your basil "tree" is now anorexic so you don't have much more time.. maybe this is the last one before a long period of abstinence...  
Are you following me here?
I can do it Vietnamese style, I can do it Lebanese style, I can do it Chinese style, but today I'm doing it my style.  I suppose this is Vietnamese, but I put some Doubanjiang in my Trung Chien.  For those not fluent in Cantonese or Vietnamese, that means I put some spicy Sichuan broad bean paste in my omelette.  I cooked it while imagining Korean Gyeran Mari, except I didn't roll it while cooking, but rolled it afterwards.  Ooo I'll be serving that for happy hour one of these days.
Then I added avocado to my toppings.  
What?  
Yes I needed more protein in there and I am from SoCal after all.  And avocado goes with everything.
Here I go again.. in quadruple fusion.
Serves 2-3
Ingredients
200g sweet potato noodles, cooked, drained, and cooled
Trung Chien(Omelette):
3 large or 4 small eggs, beaten
1 small zucchini, julienned
1 small green onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp doubanjiang (Pixian spicy broadbean paste)
1/2 Tbsp sesame oil
Fresh Toppings:
1 carrot, julienned
1/2 cucumber, julienned
handful mung bean sprouts
1 large avocado, cubed
Herb Toppings:
handful chopped basil
handful chopped cilantro
handful chopped scallions
Crunchy Toppings:
handful crushed peanuts
handful fried shallots
Nuac Mam Cham sauce:
1 Tbsp nuac nam (fish sauce)
1 1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp mirin
1 cloves garlic, grated
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 thai chili, chopped
1 Tbsp water
1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
Directions
1.  Make the Trung Chien Omelette.  Heat the sesame oil in a pan and add the zucchini.  Cook, stirring until lightly colored.  Beat the chopped green onion and doubanjiang with the eggs.  Pour into the pan and turn the heat down to medium low.  Cook until the top is barely jiggly, then transfer to a plate.
If you want to do it Gyeran Mari style, roll it while you cook and then slice it into sushi.  I didn't do it quite like that (but I will soon).  Slice up the omelette and divide it into the number of plates you are planning to make.
2.  Make the Nuac Mam Cham sauce by stirring all the ingredients together.  Set aside.
3.  Assemble.  This is my ultimate favorite part.
Place a portion of those freakishly sexy sweet potato noodles at the bottom of the serving plate and arrange the sliced omelette, cucumber, carrot, and bean sprouts in a semi circle. 
 Keep adding things in the circle.. the scallions, cilantro, basil, avocado
 Don't forget the crunchy goodness!  Peanuts and fried shallots!
And then the sour goodness.. a few tablespoons of the Nuac Mam Cham sauce.
Then comes the Chaos.. take a deep breath, admire the ephemeral beauty of each item in its place.. then mix it all together like a crazy person with your chopsticks.
Feel relieved that the orderly plate was just temporary.

Live in the moment or forever hold your peace...
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment