Search this blog

Translate

Monday, June 16, 2014

Chinese Cucumber Garlic Salad

I wouldn't call my apartment a greenhouse, but it retains heat like no other place I've ever lived.  Once the temperature is up, it's hard to cool it.  Even creating a draft only slightly works, especially since it faces west.  After a very long day, I wanted to come home to something fresh.. and since the home was hot and muggy, I decided my dinner would be cooling.
This cucumber salad is perfect.  I repurposed a few pieces of duck since I didn't have anything else for dinner, but this is a perfectly lovely salad on its own.
Inspired by Yi Reservation.
Serves 2
Ingredients
1 large or 2 small cucumbers, julienned
2 small cloves garlic, grated
1 Tbsp black vinegar
2 tsp light soy sauce (or GF alternative)
1 tsp mirin
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp roasted sesame seeds
drizzle chili oil
few halved cherry tomatoes (for color)
1 thai chili
some shredded Five-Spiced Duck (optional)
Directions
1.  Seriously, it's a salad.  Do I need to give directions?  Ah yes here's a tip I use often.  Place all the ingredients in a tupperware and close it.
2.  Shake shake shake.
3.  Arrange to make it pretty (if that's your thing) and serve.

And that's another delightful way to enjoy cucumber!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment