Search this blog

Translate

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Burmese Golden Egg Curry with Zucchini

After coming home late, I felt like a dinner making machine.  As soon as I walked in the door, I knew I'd be making some type of Burmese Golden Egg Curry with a twist, but I'd also be making a parallel dinner to satisfy other needs.  It's like today's lunch.  I couldn't decide if I wanted to finish the Thai Leek and Mushroom Curry or the Red and Green Dal.. so I had both.
Somehow, it was perfect, but in another way, it felt imperfect.  I suppose they two meals cancelled each other out, considering one was more Earth, and the other Water.. and Earth destroys Water.
Anyway, I eventually decided to not eat my parallel meal and leave that one to the wolves.  Mine would correspond more to the "me" in me.. spicy, tangy, garlicky, and crunchy.  I think I have those elements covered well now.
I'm ready for tomorrow.. are you?
Serves 2-3
Ingredients:
4 large eggs "hard boiled" or steamed 10 minutes and peeled
1/4 cup mix sesame oil and sunflower oil
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
3 small shallots, minced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 jalapeño or Moroccan green chile, seeded and diced
1 zucchini, sliced into quarter moons
¼ teaspoon Red Chile Powder
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 teaspoons fish sauce
coarse sea salt to taste
1/4 tsp cracked green pepper berries
Garnish:
sesame seeds
mung bean sprouts
Directions: 
1.  Heat the oil in a wide heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turmeric.. it will fizz.  This is very sexy.
2.  Add the peeled eggs and fry until golden and a little blistered all over: cook on each side in turn, then try to balance the eggs on their ends to cook the tips. Frying the egg is a fun little task, quickly done, and it makes them very attractive. They should be golden and blistered all over.  Remove, cut them lengthwise in half and set aside.
3.  Pour off all but 2 to 3 tablespoons of the oil (the oil can be used again for stir-frying). Heat the oil remaining in the pan over medium heat, add the shallots, green chile, and garlic, and fry briefly, until translucent. 
4.  Add the zucchini slices and can of crushed tomatoes.  Simmer until the zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes.
5.  Stir in the fish sauce and salt, then taste and add as much chile powder as you find necessary
6.  Place the eggs into the sauce to heat through.

Split the eggs for beauty and serve hot or warm over some quinoa garnished with sesame seeds and mung bean sprouts.

Feel the heat rise within you.. even at room temperature.. and enjoy the ride...
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment