Search this blog

Translate

Monday, January 19, 2015

Ringan/Brinjal/Eggplant Palita

To all people unaware, this looks like a standard Indian dish you may find in any Indian home.. but to the trained eye, nose, and tongue, this is the true meaning of a melting pot.
Here we have something Gujarati (center), something Andhrian (south), and something Punjabi (north), all communing together in one plate, for my ultimate sensory pleasure.
I may have made a small tweek to the original Guju recipe which calls for only coriander powder and chile powder.. I used sambar powder.. which is worth any festivity on its own, but paired with eggplant, it becomes a creamy dream full of heat and heartfelt comfort...
Serves 3 as a side
Ingredients
1 large eggplant (brinjal or ring an), sliced into 1/8" slices
3 cloves garlic, grated
1 Tbsp ginger, grated
1 1/2 tsp sambar powder (or other chile powder)
1 1/2 tsp garam masala (or coriander powder)
pinch fleur de sel
1/2 tsp oil
2-3 Tbsp oil for cooking (in batches)
Directions
1.  Soak the eggplant slices in some salted water for at least 10 minutes.
2.  While you are waiting for the soaking to happen, mix the rest of the ingredients (besides the cooking oil) into a paste.
3.  Drain the eggplant slices, pat dry, and prick with a fork.  Rub the paste onto each slice.
4.  In a wide flat pan, heat part of the cooking oil to high heat.  Cook eggplant about 2 minutes on each side until colored.  Do not overcrowd the pan.  I did mine in 2 batches.
I served mine as a side to some Mango Pappu and some Roasted Tandoori Chicken.

I think I'm back on my India spiral again.. and I like it!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment