Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Mango Pappu (Dal)

Get your wooden spoon ready...
I ran out of curry leaves.
This is in part a very sad thing because I really really wanted to use them in this Mango Pappu... but the dal in itself was enough to console me.
Based on Sailu's recipe.
Serves 4-5
Ingredients
1 heaping cup yellow toor dal
1/2 cup chopped sour mango
1 chopped red onion
1 green chile, sliced (I used Moroccan)
1 Tbsp grated ginger
1 tsp coarse sea salt
1/4 tsp turmeric
juice from 1/2 lime (only if mango is not sour enough)
1 plain yogurt
3-4 cups water
Seasoning:
2 Tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 cloves garlic, grated
2 dried red chiles
sprig curry leaves (I wish I had)
Directions
1.  Boil the dal with the mango, green chile, ginger, salt, turmeric, and water until tender, about 20 minutes.
2.  Prepare the seasoning.  Heat the oil in a wok and add the mustard and cumin seeds until they crackle.  Add the dried red chile, garlic, and curry leaves (if you are so blessed) and cook for another 30 seconds.
3.  Add the seasoning to the dal.  Taste for sourness.  If your mango is not sour enough, add some lime.  I used some mango slices preserved in vinegar from a glass jar.  I wasn't sure exactly how sour it would turn out when cooked, and I decided it may just have been some unripe mango, but not sour enough.  Still amazing, though.
4.  Simmer for 10 more minutes, then stir in the plain yogurt.  I felt the yogurt step was necessary to take this a step further.

Serve with some hot basmati rice in a thali.  I had some samosas and punugulu with some eggplant pickle.
I prefer to eat this hot, but some may find it rather sensual to eat it cold.  I will not get upset if this is what you choose..

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment