Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Dosa or Idli Punugulu with Methi

This weekend has been quite fruitful.  Yesterday I suddenly wanted to make potstickers even though I was having company over for a different meal plan.  That didn't stop me.. I made 60 potstickers and with the leftover filling, made some spring rolls and served a few of each as an appetizer to the original bun bo plan.  It all worked out in the end.. besides the actual photo of the more than sexy appetizer I had prepared with the sauce and the floating sesame seeds..
aah how forgetful I am sometimes!
This morning I felt more than inspired after yesterday's adventures.  I dreamt that I was gifted with dhoklas by my favorite French guest.. which actually doesn't seem so far out.. since she usually likes anything Indian, Asian, or vegetarian I offer her (with only a few exceptions.)
The waking from that dream had me wanting to make samosas to accompany the dhoklas.  I contemplated this feat out loud several times, wondering if I really wanted to spend all that time making the dough, doing the frying business etc..
When I looked out the window and acknowledged the foggy cold weather, I decided it was the perfect day to be spending making samosas.  At least I wouldn't be cold!
After the samosas were finished, I contemplated making dhoklas to conclude what I had dreamt about.. and then.. as I opened my cupboard to start with the dhokla batter, the dosa batter box fell out.  I had remembered seeing something about using dosa batter for appetizers other than dosa (since I'm retarded in the crêpe or dosa shaping business), and that faint recipe browsing memory brought me to this Punugulu... which was perfect, since I hadn't thrown out the samosa frying oil yet.
So yes, I spent my Sunday frying, listening to several Elvis gospel and country albums.
Today was a Sunday kind of Love...
Inspired by Sailu's recipe.
Yield 18 Punugulu
Ingredients
2 cups Dosa batter
1 small red onion, minced
1 green chile, minced
1 tsp grated ginger
2 Tbsp rice flour
2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 Tbsp chopped fenugreek leaves
1/4 tsp salt
1 handful chopped cilantro (if you have it)
curry leaves (if you have them)
oil for frying
Directions
1.  Whip all the ingredients but the oil together and let sit for at least 5 minutes.  During this time, you can heat the oil.  If the batter is too watery, add more rice flour or whole wheat flour.
Mine may have been slightly too thin.  You want it thicker than this.
2.  Using a tablespoon, place spoonfuls of batter into very hot oil, making sure not to overcrowd the frying pan.
In the original recipe, it makes ball shapes.  Mine makes pakora shapes.  As I said, next time I'll thicken the batter.  These did come out nice and airy, though.
3.  When they are slightly golden on each side, remove onto some paper towels and let the oil drain off.
Hmmm I think I was in a frying mood today.

Serve with some chutney or pickle.  I served mine with brinjal pickle.
Just lovely served with some mango pappu and samosas...

So these are obviously fried, so relatively greasy, but they are worth every single drop of that oil!  Crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside with that fermented aftertaste that dosa batter undeniably offers.
Yes.
Again.
Please.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment